Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hide Columns in Matrix Report

Hi,

I have a matrxi report with 6 Columns (Col 1, 2, ...6). Based on the parameters I select I wanted to hide 3 of the columns (Col 2, 4 and 6. But the problem is when I hide the columns, it leaves a gap. That means, the matrix report shows Col 1, 3 and 5 with gap in between the Columns.

There is no Column Visibility property in matrix report.

Please help me as I am looking to solve this issue for a long time now.

Thanks,

S Suresh

I have not been able to solve this issue either. I am not sure if it's a design intent or a bug, but it is frustrating.

On one report i actually had to put multiple matrix side by side, using the same dataset, grouping, etc, and hid the entire matrix. It's messy, but it does the trick.

BobP

|||

Having 6 columns in your matrix, suggest they map on to 6 columns in your source query and you have a static group.

If your columns have no further nesting then I suggest switching to using a table as you can achieve equivalent results. When you highlight a column in a table and change it's visibility you don't get the gap.

If that is not possible then you can get around this by pivoting the data in your query so that rather than having 6 measure columns you get 2 columns with MeasureType and MeasureValue. You should then be able to group the matrix columns by MeasureType, then, based on your parameter selection, filter the 3 unwanted measures in the source query.

And that will definately work.

|||

Thanks Adam. But my 6 columns are populated with values from dimensions. Can you tell me if there is any solution to hide column in matrix?

Thanks,

S Suresh

|||

Thanks Bob. I already messed up with multiple matrix to fill the rows.

Thanks,

S Suresh

|||

No, you cannot hide a column in a matrix and have it reclaim it's space.

BobP

|||

Suresh,

What I suggested is possible as I've already done it. When you say "my columns are populated from dimensions" what do you actually mean?

On the Layout tab do you see 1 column or 6 i.e. is this a dynamic group or a static group?

It doesn't matter if they are coming from different dimesions, you can just manufacture calculated members and measures within your MDX query. This requires you to stop using the query designer and switch to custom MDX view. Then you use syntax such as:

Code Snippet

WITH

MEMBER [Measures].[MyMeasure] AS 'SOME MDX here'

MEMBER [SomeOtherDimension].[MyMember] AS 'Some MDX here'

SELECT {[Measures].[MyMeasure]} ON 0

FROM [YourCube]

WHERE (...)

Post some sample MDX with a brief explanation of the dimensions and the parameters you wish to use to control visibility of the columns and I'll show you what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment